I have finished writing my simple Operating System and I want to test it on a real hardware(PC), not bochs or qemu. My OS has a custom bootloader and a kernel and I used cat to concat them into one single bin file. But I spent hours on finding out a way to convert the bin file to a bootable iso file but failed each time. According to OSDev.org, I think I need to use genisoimage(mkisofs) to do the convert, but I don't know exactly how this command works, I finally outputted a iso file but this one is not working.(I think I used the wrong command, can someone explain a little bit more to me?)
Other Approaches I tried:
- Directly burn the bin file to a CD. Error: Missing Operating System.
- Convert the bin file to ISO using winbin2iso and other windows platform software. Error: Could not boot. Not even in qemu.
Also, what is El-Torito?