Change Sign In With Apple button style based on current color scheme

Viewed 936

I'm having some issues with SwiftUI's SignInWithAppleButton's signInWithAppleButtonStyle. I am trying to change the color of the button based on the user's current scheme or if it changes. This is iOS 14 and SwiftUI:

@Environment(\.colorScheme) var currentScheme
@State var appleButtonWhite = false

VStack{
SignInWithAppleButton(
                .signUp,
                onRequest: { request in              
                    request.requestedScopes = [.fullName, .email]
                },
                onCompletion: { result in
                    switch result {
                    case .success (let authResults):
                        print("Authorization successful.")
       
                    case .failure (let error):
                        print("Authorization failed: " + error.localizedDescription)
                    }
                }
            )
            .frame(minWidth: 0, maxWidth: .infinity)
            .signInWithAppleButtonStyle(appleButtonWhite ? .white : .black)
}
.onChange(of: currentScheme, perform: { (scheme) in
        if scheme == .light
        {
            appleButtonWhite = false
        }
        else
        {
            appleButtonWhite = true
        }
    })

When appleButtonWhite changes values, it renders the view as it should since the state is changing. When I debug the button it has the correct appleButtonWhite value, but for some reason the style just never changes. I have no idea why. I have done many style changes in my code with regular buttons and it works correctly based on different states. Any ideas why Apple's doesn't change?

2 Answers

I managed to solve this by moving the SignInWithAppleButton to its own View, without signInWithAppleButtonStyle

Then using @Environment(\.colorScheme) create an if statement and import the SignInWithAppleButtonView styling with signInWithAppleButtonStyle.

import SwiftUI
import AuthenticationServices

struct ContentView: View {
    
    @Environment(\.colorScheme) var currentScheme
    
    var body: some View {
        if self.currentScheme == .light {
            SignInWithAppleButtonView()
                .signInWithAppleButtonStyle(.black)
        } else {
            SignInWithAppleButtonView()
                .signInWithAppleButtonStyle(.white)
        }
    }
}

struct SignInWithAppleButtonView: View {
    var body: some View {
        SignInWithAppleButton(
            .signUp,
            onRequest: {_ in },
            onCompletion: {_ in }
        )
    }
}

We can write even more elegant solution. Based on the mrjohnsly answer above

Here's a resource that explain how to efficiently use Swift views https://developer.apple.com/wwdc21/10022

struct ContentView: View {
    @Environment(\.colorScheme) var currentScheme
    
    var body: some View {
        VStack {
            SignInWithAppleButton { request in
                // request handeling
            } onCompletion: { result in
                // result handeling
            }
            .signInWithAppleButtonStyle(currentScheme == .light ? .black : .white) // <- here
            .frame(width: 250, height: 45, alignment: .center)
        }
    }
}
Related