When downloading multiple commonly used javascript/css files (e.g. boostrap and jquery), many topics like this one recommend the use of a CDN, with one of the main arguments that it can then be used to load them asynchronously.
How does that work? To the best of my knowledge, <script> tags in the header are read synchronously, so it won't actually look at the second CDN file until the first one is finished.
<script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.5.1/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script src="//cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/popper.js/1.16.0/umd/popper.min.js"></script>
<script src="//maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/4.5.2/js/bootstrap.min.js"></script>
How can I make the page download the scripts asynchronously, but execute them synchronously? Or is that actually happening by default somehow? And what about CSS files, will my
<link rel="stylesheet" href="//maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/4.5.2/css/bootstrap.min.css">
behave any different in that sense? I would like to understand the loading process properly before adding my own failovers to local code (for if the CDN is down), as to prevent getting stuck with synchronous downloading.
(Note that, despite the near-identical title, this is not a duplicate of this question, which is about loading scripts dynamically.)
Also note that I can't use defer (at least in the vanilla way that I know) as that would prevent me from adding said failover when the CDN is down, e.g.
<script src="//netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/twitter-bootstrap/2.2.1/js/bootstrap.min.js"></script>
<script> $.fn.modal || document.write('<script src="Script/bootstrap.min.js">\x3C/script>')</script>
would be broken by simply adding defer.