I'm saving my game world using serialization. The world is basically a big ArrayList containing each area map object. The number of area maps is fixed, but they vary greatly in size (between 5-30 mB each). So I don't want to have the entire world loaded in memory during runtime, only the specific area maps that the player's characters are located in.
Is it possible to load specific area maps without loading the entire world (or in other words: loading a specific object without deserializing the whole SER-file)? Likewise I need to save specific area maps (when all characters have left the area). Note that the size (in data) of the area map could have changed significantly, since the player could potentially move hundreds of objects from one area to another.
The point of this question is that I want to avoid storing each map in it's own SER-file. That would be A LOT of files, which will become even more with each save the player has. So my goal is to pack it up nicely in a single save-file.