I have a dataframe with a lot of columns with abbreviations. I'm trying to replace the columns with their full name.
A minimal reproducible example:
category <- data.frame(short = c("TOM", "BAN", "APP", "PEA"),
name = c("tomato", "banana", "apple", "pear"))
df <- data.frame(col1 = c("TOM", "TOM", "TOM", "APP", "TOM"),
col2 = c("APP", "TOM", "TOM", "PEA", "PEA"),
col3 = c("TOM", "PEA", "PEA", "TOM", "BAN"))
col1 col2 col3
1 TOM APP TOM
2 TOM TOM PEA
3 TOM TOM PEA
4 APP PEA TOM
5 TOM PEA BAN
Now, I would like my dataframe to just contain the full names of the products. I can get it to work with left_joins, selecting and renaming, but this code is getting out of hand pretty rapidly with a lot of columns.
df2 <- df %>%
left_join(category, by = c("col1" = "short")) %>%
select(-col1) %>%
rename(col1 = name) %>%
left_join(category, by = c("col2" = "short")) %>%
select(-col2) %>%
rename(col2 = name) %>%
left_join(category, by = c("col3" = "short")) %>%
select(-col3) %>%
rename(col3 = name)
col1 col2 col3
1 tomato apple tomato
2 tomato tomato pear
3 tomato tomato pear
4 apple pear tomato
5 tomato pear banana
I think (hope?) there's a better solution for it, but I'm unable to find it.