How do I use Google Apps Script via Python?

Viewed 837

So I have used the script editor from https://script.google.com/home to make many programs that help me with my (non-programming) job.

I've recently been learning about data visualization libraries in Python, and I feel it would be awesome if I could use Python in my Google scripts so that I can attach Python-created pictures onto my gmail/forms/docs I create.

When I look at the documentation for the different Google services, I see Python mentioned. But I have no idea how to use it to work with Google Apps Script, or if it's even possible. I couldn't find a good Youtube video that explains it. I don't know, maybe I just don't know the vocabulary (I'm a self-taught programmer).

Exactly what steps do I have to take to start using Google Apps Script via Python?

1 Answers

Currently you can't use Google apps script directly with python(There however is a beta program).

The straightforward way to use python with Google apps is to skip apps script and use the respective apis directly, if one is available. Most popular Google apps do have a external api. Eg: Docs-Api, Gmail-api.

Alternatively, You can manipulate apps script through apps script api. Here you'll be able to modify apps script and run apps script through python, but the executing code on the server is still apps script. You may also be able to create a apps script webapp and make it a custom api accepting GET/POST requests.

Related