fun root(n) =
if n>0 then
let
val x = root(n div 4);
in
if (2*x+1)*(2*x+1) > n then 2*x
else 2*x+1
end
else 0;
fun isPrime(n,c) =
if c<=root(n) then
if n mod c = 0 then false
else isPrime(n,c+1)
else true;
The time complexity for the root(n) function here is O(log(n)): the number is getting divided by 4 at every step and the code in the function itself is O(1). The time complexity for the isPrime function is o(sqrt(n)) as it runs iteratively from 1 to sqrt(n). The issue I face now is what would be the order of both functions together? Would it just be O(sqrt(n)) or would it be O(sqrt(n)*log(n)) or something else altogether?
I'm new to big O notation in general, I have gone through multiple websites and youtube videos trying to understand the concept but I can't seem to calculate it with any confidence... If you guys could point me towards a few resources to help me practice calculating, it would be a great help.