For a Material-UI Button component, I would like to have the "focus" styling look the same as "focusVisible" styling. Meaning I want it to have the same ripple effect visible if the button was focused programatically or with the mouse as if the button was focused with the tab key.
A sort-of workaround I have found is to call dispatchEvent(new window.Event("keydown")) on the element before it is focused, causing keyboard to be the last input type used. This will have the effect of making the button look the way I want UNTIL the onMouseLeave event (from MUI <ButtonBase/>) or another mouse event is fired, causing the visible focus to disappear.
I have figured out how to change the focus styling of the component like this:
import React from "react"
import { withStyles } from "@material-ui/core/styles"
import Button from "@material-ui/core/Button"
const styles = {
root: {
'&:focus': {
border: "3px solid #000000"
}
}
}
const CustomButtonRaw = React.forwardRef((props, ref) => {
const { classes, ...rest } = props
return <Button classes={{root: classes.root}} {...rest} ref={ref}/>
}
const CustomButton = withStyles(styles, { name: "CustomButton" })(CustomButtonRaw)
export default CustomButton
So, I can apply some style to the button when it is in "focus" state. (For ex. I applied a border). But I am missing how to get the styles to apply. I have tried putting the className 'Mui-visibleFocus' on the Button but that did not seem to have an effect. Is there some way to get the styles that would be applied if the Button was in visibleFocus state?