This is a general question on the advantages of using gym.Env as superclass (as opposed to nothing):
I am thinking of building my own reinforcement learning environment for a small experiment. I have read a couple of blog posts on how to build one with the Env class from the OpenAI Gym package (for example https://medium.com/@apoddar573/making-your-own-custom-environment-in-gym-c3b65ff8cdaa). But it seems like I can create an environmnet without needing to use the class at all. E.g. if I wanted to create an env called Foo, the tutorials recommend I use something like
class FooEnv(gym.Env)
But I can just as well use
class FooEnv()
and my environmnent will still work in exactly the same way. I have seen one small benefit of using OpenAI Gym: I can initiate different versions of the environment in a cleaner way. But apart from that, can anyone describe or point out any resources on what big advantages the gym.Env superclass provides? I want to make sure I'm making full use of them :) thanks!