OSX Docker Build: How can I see the full build output? (--progress=plain not the solution!)

Viewed 3109

I just got a MacBook from work and I am using it to build docker images. Usually, the docker build shows the full log (i.e. ls -la showing the cwd). Thats at least what I'm used to from my linux machine.

On the macbook however, it only shows a brief overview: (actual console output)

 => [internal] load build definition from Dockerfile                                                                                                                                                                                          0.0s
 => => transferring dockerfile: 40B                                                                                                                                                                                                           0.0s
 => [internal] load .dockerignore                                                                                                                                                                                                             0.0s
 => => transferring context: 2B                                                                                                                                                                                                               0.0s
 => [internal] load metadata for docker.io/library/debian:stretch-slim                                                                                                                                                                        1.1s
 => [internal] load build context                                                                                                                                                                                                             0.0s
 => => transferring context: 58B                                                                                                                                                                                                              0.0s
 => [1/16] FROM docker.io/library/debian:stretch-slim@sha256:eb436e834ba416c45359aa0709febef17fdea65ab6a8f4db12016aa2fa63be0c                                                                                                                 0.0s
 => CACHED [2/16] RUN apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y                                                                                                                                                                                    0.0s
 => CACHED [3/16] RUN apt-get install wget -y                                                                                                                                                                                                 0.0s
 => CACHED [4/16] RUN wget https://dev.mysql.com/get/Downloads/MySQL-5.7/mysql-5.7.22-linux-glibc2.12-x86_64.tar.gz                                                                                                                           0.0s
 => CACHED [5/16] RUN tar -zxvf mysql-5.7.22-linux-glibc2.12-x86_64.tar.gz                                                                                                                                                                    0.0s
 => CACHED [6/16] RUN mv mysql-5.7.22-linux-glibc2.12-x86_64 mysql-5.7.22                                                                                                                                                                     0.0s
 => CACHED [7/16] RUN ls -la                                                                                                                                                                                                                  0.0s
 => CACHED [8/16] RUN mv mysql-5.7.22 /usr/local/                                                                                                                                                                                             0.0s
 => CACHED [9/16] RUN groupadd mysql                                                                                                                                                                                                          0.0s
 => CACHED [10/16] RUN useradd -r -s /sbin/nologin -g mysql mysql -d /usr/local/mysql                                                                                                                                                         0.0s
 => CACHED [11/16] RUN chown -R mysql /usr/local/mysql-5.7.22/                                                                                                                                                                                0.0s
 => CACHED [12/16] RUN chgrp -R mysql /usr/local/mysql-5.7.22/                                                                                                                                                                                0.0s
 => CACHED [13/16] COPY my.cnf /etc/                                                                                                                                                                                                          0.0s
 => CACHED [14/16] COPY startup.sh .                                                                                                                                                                                                          0.0s
 => CACHED [15/16] RUN ls -la                                                                                                                                                                                                                 0.0s
 => exporting to image                                                                                                                                                                                                                        0.0s
 => => exporting layers                                                                                                                                                                                                                       0.0s
 => => writing image sha256:d93a0842352d0980be6ba4b57fdd6cad18818b7527bedecfb706e416b7fb6062                                                                                                                                                  0.0s
 => => naming to docker.io/library/customsql

Steps 7 and 15 are supposed to show me the results, but this is just omitted. (I know, its the cached result, but it didn't show up, when I changed the Dockerfile and rebuild the layer as well).

setting --progress=plain didn't do any good. In fact it just changed the color from purple to white (HideThePainHarold.jpg).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

3 Answers

Just set export DOCKER_BUILDKIT=0 in your shell....

Found the answer myself: Apparently Docker build on osx is automatically config'd to use buildkit, which disguises a lot of the default debug output.

I removed it from the JSON config and it works.

In addition to Simons Answer, if you are looking for permanent setting.

To disable docker BuildKit by default, set daemon configuration in /etc/docker/daemon.json feature to true and restart the daemon:

{ "features": { "buildkit": false } }

enter image description here

Related