I am looking for a certifier for my Windows app, and I am wondering which certificate type I should choose for the application of my startup. I saw that there are mainly two types - so-called OV and EV certificates. A quick summary from SSL.com (for code-signing a desktop application)
An EV code signing certificate offers an immediate reputation with Microsoft SmartScreen, so your users will never have to click through a SmartScreen warning in Windows.
With an OV certificate, SmartScreen reputation must be built organically, as users download and install your files. SmartScreen warnings may occur until enough software proves sufficiently popular with Windows users for SmartScreen to view it as “well known.”
I understand the differences, and most articles refer to them in the use-case of Web SSL certificates. But would you recommend an EV certificate for a desktop application from a startup? Or is it not worth the money? Any help is highly appreciated!