I'm trying to create some UI but no idea how to use LayoutManger for it.
Like showing in the image Purple color component have fixed width and height but stick to the corners. 8 and 4 have fixed with and variable height, 2 and 6 have fixed height and variable width. the middle component (9) need variable width and height.
These 8 component work like a border and middle one is need to resize according to parent component size. I could do this coding absolute positions using null layout. but I have suggested to not to use null layout.
How could I do this with a Layout manager witch layout I can use for this? Do I need to use more layouts than one?
UPDATE
i have tried something with GridBagLayout as Andrew's suggestion but I still need a little help to understand how it works. Here is my code
import java.awt.Color;
import java.awt.GridBagConstraints;
import java.awt.GridBagLayout;
import javax.swing.JButton;
import javax.swing.JFrame;
import javax.swing.JPanel;
public class GridLayoutTest {
public static void main(String[] args) {
JFrame frame = new JFrame();
JPanel jPanel1 = new JPanel();
jPanel1.setLayout(new GridBagLayout());
frame.setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOSE);
JButton button;
GridBagConstraints c = new GridBagConstraints();
button = new JButton("1");
c.fill = GridBagConstraints.VERTICAL;
c.anchor = GridBagConstraints.FIRST_LINE_START;
c.gridx = 0;
c.gridy = 0;
jPanel1.add(button, c);
button = new JButton("2");
c.fill = GridBagConstraints.HORIZONTAL;
c.weightx = 1.0;
c.gridx = 1;
c.gridy = 0;
jPanel1.add(button, c);
button = new JButton("3");
c.fill = GridBagConstraints.VERTICAL;
c.anchor = GridBagConstraints.FIRST_LINE_END;
c.gridx = 2;
c.gridy = 0;
jPanel1.add(button, c);
button = new JButton("4");
c.fill = GridBagConstraints.VERTICAL;
c.anchor = GridBagConstraints.LINE_START;
c.weighty = 1.0;
c.gridx = 0;
c.gridy = 1;
jPanel1.add(button, c);
//Panel
JPanel panel = new JPanel();
panel.setBackground(Color.green.darker());
c.fill = GridBagConstraints.BOTH;
c.weightx = 0.0;
//c.weightx = 1.0;
c.gridx = 1;
c.gridy = 1;
jPanel1.add(panel, c);
button = new JButton("5");
c.fill = GridBagConstraints.VERTICAL;
c.anchor = GridBagConstraints.LINE_END;
c.weighty = 1.0;
c.gridx = 2;
c.gridy = 1;
jPanel1.add(button, c);
button = new JButton("6");
c.fill = GridBagConstraints.VERTICAL;
c.anchor = GridBagConstraints.LAST_LINE_START;
c.gridx = 0;
c.gridy = 2;
jPanel1.add(button, c);
button = new JButton("7");
c.fill = GridBagConstraints.HORIZONTAL;
c.weightx = 1.0;
c.gridx = 1;
c.gridy = 2;
jPanel1.add(button, c);
button = new JButton("8");
c.fill = GridBagConstraints.VERTICAL;
c.anchor = GridBagConstraints.LAST_LINE_END;
c.gridx = 2;
c.gridy = 2;
jPanel1.add(button, c);
frame.add(jPanel1);
frame.pack();
frame.setLocationRelativeTo(null);
frame.setSize(500, 500);
frame.setVisible(true);
}
}




