I have been going through the excellent CIS 194 course when I got stuck on Part 5 of Homework 6. It revolves around implementing the ruler function without any divisibility testing.
I found that it is possible to build the ruler function by continuously interspersing an accumulator with values from an infinite list.
nats = [0,1,2,3,..]
[3]
[2,3,2]
[1,2,1,3,1,2,1]
[0,1,0,2,0,1,0,3,0,1,0,2,0]
Then I tried implementing this algorithm for Stream datatype which is a list without nil
data Stream a = Cons a (Stream a)
streamToList :: Stream a -> [a]
streamToList (Cons x xs) = x : streamToList xs
instance Show a => Show (Stream a) where
show = show . take 20 . streamToList
streamFromSeed :: (a -> a) -> a -> Stream a
streamFromSeed f x = Cons x (streamFromSeed f (f x))
nats :: Stream Integer
nats = streamFromSeed succ 0
interleave x (Cons y ys) = Cons x (Cons y (interleave x ys))
foldStream f (Cons x xs) = f x (foldStream f xs)
ruler = foldStream interleave nats
As expected, I got stackoverflow error since I was trying to fold from the right. However, I was surprised to see the same algorithm work for normal infinite lists.
import Data.List
interleave x list = [x] ++ (intersperse x list) ++ [x]
ruler = take 20 (foldr interleave [] [0..])
What am I missing? Why one implementation works while the other doesn't?