I'm writing my first real project in Django and I have a problem with properly setting DEBUG in development and production. In my settings.py project file I have:
# SECURITY WARNING: don't run with debug turned on in production!
DEBUG = os.environ.get('DJANGO_DEBUG', 'True') == 'True'
So I expect that it should work as follows. By default DEBUG is set to True (I use this in my development). But on my production server I have an environmental variable DJANGO_DEBUG set to "False" so Django should set DEBUG to False.
But this does not work! When I go to my_website/notexistingurl I see Django detail error page which says that I have DEBUG set to True in my settings.py file. And to make this completely unclear to me, when I open a python shell on my server it says that os.environ.get('DJANGO_DEBUG', 'True') == 'True' is False.
Does anyone have an idea what I am missing? Because to me it looks like two completely contradictory things!