Big Sur - Ruby - Cannot load such file — Interrupted system call

Viewed 5099

After upgrading to Big Sur I am getting errors running my Ruby server rotating through different files either with

cannot load such file -- 

or

Interrupted system call --

These errors rotate various files each time I run bundle exec rackup. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling RVM, XCode Command Line Tools, and even tried switching to rbenv. Same outcome.

Any ideas?

5 Answers

I was able to solve this problem for an rbenv ruby installation after noticing a similar-ish issue listed at the end of the ruby-build wiki. Adding MAKE_OPTS=-j1 finally worked, though it took much longer; The whole build ran with one process. The final command I used (though I don't know if calling ruby-build directly was necessary):

MAKE_OPTS=-j1 RUBY_CONFIGURE_OPTS="--with-openssl-dir=$(brew --prefix openssl) --with-readline-dir=$(brew --prefix readline) --with-libyaml-dir=$(brew --prefix libyaml)" \
  ruby-build --verbose 2.6.6 ~/.rbenv/versions/2.6.6/
# to hook it up with rbenv:
rbenv rehash

I know this isn't your exact problem, but perhaps re-installing ruby would help.

Not a complete resolution yet, but we did find out that the issue seems specific to the newrelic-ruby-agent and have opened an issue (https://github.com/newrelic/newrelic-ruby-agent/issues/528) with them to do further investigation.

As a workaround, we are able to run locally by setting NEW_RELIC_AGENT_ENABLED=false in the env.list

Uninstalling Avira solved the problem I was having with rbenv install 3.0.0 on macOS 11.2. (See ruby-build #1710 (comment).) Thanks to @alex for the tip.

I got this error in brew install lima

this may not look like answer, but running up that command again and again brew install lima I kept getting different errors, I ran that command 7-8 times, and was able to finally install lima.

Related