How to prevent typescript from transpiling dynamic imports into require()?

Viewed 3774

I'm building a discord.js Discord bot. Now for some reason, discord.js doesn't work with ESM modules (a totally separate issue), so my bot app uses CommonJS modules. Now I have another project on my system called Lib, which has a lot of utility functions that I plan to use in several different projects so I don't have to rewrite them. This Lib project uses ESM modules. Since I have to import Lib from DiscordBot, I use the dynamic import syntax in typescript. Now, whenever I transpile my DiscordBot project, the dynamic imports get converted into some ugly javascript module code, and that ugly module code ultimately ends up using require(). Since require() can't import ESM modules, my bot ends up crashing.

I tried however to stop my ts compiler, copy the code from my ts file that imports Lib then pasting that code into the corresponding JS file manually (and removing TS-exclusive features like type annotations and interfaces). Then I ran my bot app, and it worked perfectly fine. But I don't want to have to do this every time. So it's tsc's compiling that's the problem. How do I fix this?

5 Answers

So I understand the purpose is:

  1. Develop the code in TypeScript
  2. Run the compiled code in CommonJS package
  3. Import and use an ES Module

Option 1:

If "module" in tsconfig.json is set to "commonjs", currently there's no way to prevent TypeScript from transpiling dynamic import() into require() - except that you hide the code in a string and use eval to execute it. Like this:

async function body (pMap:any){
   // do something with module pMap here
}

eval ("import('p-map').then(body)");

No way TypeScript transpiles a string!


Option 2

Set "module" in tsconfig.json to "es2020". By doing this, dynamic import would not be transpiled into require(), and you can use dynamic import to import a CommonJS or ES Module. Or, you can use the const someModule = require("someModule") syntax to import a CommonJS module (would not be transpiled to ES6 import syntax). You cannot use the ES6 import syntax such as import * as someModule from "someModule" or import someModule from "someModule". These syntaxes will emit ES Module syntax imports ("module" is set to "es2020") and cannot be run in CommonJS package.


Below is a bit information:

  • If "module" is set to "es2020": dynamic import import() is not transpiled.

  • If "module" is set to `"es2015": there's an error:

    TS1323: Dynamic imports are only supported when the '--module' flag is set to 'es2020', 'esnext', 'commonjs', 'amd', 'system', or 'umd'.

  • If "module" is set to "commonjs": dynamic imports are transpiled.

Quote tsconfig.json reference for "module" field:

If you are wondering about the difference between ES2015 and ES2020, ES2020 adds support for dynamic imports, and import.meta.

This is currently not possible. There is a very new issue at GitHub (https://github.com/microsoft/TypeScript/issues/43329), but that is not implemented yet. So everything you can do now is to switch from ESM to CommonJS with your Lib project.


Update 2022

The issue has been closed and there is now a new option for "module" called node12. That should fix the problem

The node12 setting others are talking about did not work for me, but these compilerOptions did, using Typescript 4.7.2:

"module": "CommonJS",
"moduleResolution": "Node16",

This saved my backside, I did not have to migrate all import requires to imports to be able to use an ESM npm lib.

Typescript input source:

import Redis = require('redis');
import * as _ from 'lodash';

export async function main() {
    const fileType = await import('file-type');
    console.log(fileType, _.get, Redis);
}

CommonJS output:

...
const Redis = require("redis");
const _ = __importStar(require("lodash"));
async function main() {
    const fileType = await import('file-type');
    console.log(fileType, _.get, Redis);
}
exports.main = main;

What compiler/bundler are you using? I am assuming tsc based on context.

I recommend using esbuild to compile and bundle your TS. You can also use it simply to transform it after using tsc. It has an option called "format" that can remove any module-style imports. See https://esbuild.github.io/api/#format.

Here is a simple example of using.

build.js

const esbuild = require("esbuild");

esbuild.build({
   allowOverwrite: true,
   write: true,
   entryPoints: ["my-main-file.ts"],
   outfile: "some-file.bundle.js",
   format: "cjs", //format option set to cjs makes all imports common-js style
   bundle: true,
}).then(() => {
   console.log("Done!");
});

You can then add something like this to your package.json

"scripts": {
        "build": "node build.js",
...rest of scripts

Here is an additional link about some caveats using esbuild with typescript. None of these should really be a problem for you. https://esbuild.github.io/content-types/#typescript-caveats

This has been fixed with the addition of the node12 option for the module setting. From the docs:

Available in nightly builds, the experimental node12 and nodenext modes integrate with Node’s native ECMAScript Module support. The emitted JavaScript uses either CommonJS or ES2020 output depending on the file extension and the value of the type setting in the nearest package.json. Module resolution also works differently. You can learn more in the handbook.

If you use this setting without a nightly build, however, it currently produces the following error:

error TS4124: Compiler option 'module' of value 'node12' is unstable. Use nightly TypeScript to silence this error. Try updating with 'npm install -D typescript@next'.

Related