What is the easiest way to share .html files with work colleagues in the Microsoft Ecosystem?

Viewed 1685

I am a data analyst who works with R a lot. As a result, most of my outputs are in the form of .html files (Rmarkdown, leaflet maps, plotly, d3.js, flexdashboard... etc).

What is the easiest/most frictionless way I can share these files with my colleagues in any Microsoft application?

For example, assume I have made the following leaflet map which I want to share with someone at work:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
  <link rel="stylesheet" href="https://unpkg.com/leaflet@1.7.1/dist/leaflet.css"/>
  <script src="https://unpkg.com/leaflet@1.7.1/dist/leaflet.js"></script>
</head>
<body>
  <div id="map"></div>
  <style>#map { height: 200px; }</style>
  <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
      var center = [-33.8650, 151.2094];
      var map = L.map('map').setView(center, 3);
      L.tileLayer('http://{s}.tile.openstreetmap.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png', {maxZoom: 18}).addTo(map);
      L.marker(center).addTo(map);
  </script>
</body>
</html>

I can't seem to find anywhere in the Microsoft ecosystem (Teams, Sharepoint, Onedrive, Power BI... etc) where I can easily display the contents of this file. For example, if I upload the file to Teams, Sharepoint or Onedrive, there is no way that any of these applications can preview the contents of the file. The following image is what happens when I open it in either Teams, Sharepoint or Onedrive:

enter image description here

Therefore, you would have to download every file locally and open in a browser. This is not an ideal solution. I can't host these online either as the data is private. Where is the best place to put these files in order to share with my colleagues easily?

1 Answers

The Visual Studio Live Share extension for Visual Studio 2017 or Visual Studio Code might be the answer. Visual Studio and VSCode are owned by Microsoft and fit well in the Microsoft ecosystem.

The Visual Studio Live Share extension allows you to share your code and quickly collaborate on the same codebase without the need to synchronize code or to configure the same development tools, settings, or environment.

You will find more on the following link: https://code.visualstudio.com/blogs/2017/11/15/live-share

Related