I want to log using python's logging module to a file on a network drive. My problem is that the logging fails at some random point giving me this error:
--- Logging error ---
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "c:\programme\anaconda3\lib\logging\__init__.py", line 1085, in emit
self.flush()
File "c:\programme\anaconda3\lib\logging\__init__.py", line 1065, in flush
self.stream.flush()
OSError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument
Call stack:
File "log_test.py", line 67, in <module>
logger_root.error('FLUSH!!!'+str(i))
Message: 'Minute:120'
Arguments: ()
--- Logging error ---
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "c:\programme\anaconda3\lib\logging\__init__.py", line 1085, in emit
self.flush()
File "c:\programme\anaconda3\lib\logging\__init__.py", line 1065, in flush
self.stream.flush()
OSError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument
Call stack:
File "log_test.py", line 67, in <module>
logger_root.error('FLUSH!!!'+str(i))
Message: 'FLUSH!!!120'
Arguments: ()
I am on a virtual machine with Windows 10 (Version 1909) and I am using Python 3.8.3 and logging 0.5.1.2. The script runs in an virtual environment on a network drive, where the log files are stored. I am writing a script that is automating some data quality control tasks and I am not 100% sure, where (network drive, local drive, etc.) the script will end up on, so it should be able to log in every possible situation. The error does not appear at the same position/line in the script but randomly. Sometimes the program (~120 minutes in total) finishes without the error appearing at all.
What I tried so far:
I believe that the logfile is closed at some point so that no new logging messages can be written to it. I wrote a simple script that basically only does logs to check if it is related to my original script or the logging process itself. Since the "only-logs-script" also fails randomly, when running on the network drive but not when it is running on my local drive, I assume that it is related to the connection to the network drive. I thought about having the whole logging stored in the memory and then written to the file but the MemoryHandler will also open the file at the beginning of the script and therefore fail at some point.
Here is my code for the "only-logs-script" (log_test.py):
import logging
import logging.handlers
import os
import datetime
import time
##################################################################
# setting up a logger to create a log file with information about this programm
logfile_dir = 'logfiles_test'
CHECK_FOLDER = os.path.isdir(logfile_dir)
# if folder doesn't exist, create it
if not CHECK_FOLDER:
os.makedirs(logfile_dir)
print("created folder : ", logfile_dir)
log_path = '.\\'+logfile_dir+'\\'
Current_Date = datetime.datetime.today().strftime ('%Y-%m-%d_')
log_filename = log_path+Current_Date+'logtest.log'
print(log_filename)
# Create a root logger
logger_root = logging.getLogger()
# Create handlers
f1_handler = logging.FileHandler(log_filename, mode='w+')
f2_handler = logging.StreamHandler()
f1_handler.setLevel(logging.INFO)
f2_handler.setLevel(logging.INFO)
# Create formatters and add it to handlers
f1_format = logging.Formatter('%(asctime)s | %(name)s | %(levelname)s | %(message)s \n')
f2_format = logging.Formatter('%(asctime)s | %(name)s | %(levelname)s | %(message)s \n')
f1_handler.setFormatter(f1_format)
f2_handler.setFormatter(f2_format)
# create a memory handler
memoryhandler = logging.handlers.MemoryHandler(
capacity=1024*100,
flushLevel=logging.ERROR,
target=f1_handler,
flushOnClose=True
)
# Add handlers to the logger
logger_root.addHandler(memoryhandler)
logger_root.addHandler(f2_handler)
logger_root.setLevel(logging.INFO)
logger_root.info('Log-File initiated.')
fname = log_path+'test.log'
open(fname, mode='w+')
for i in range(60*4):
print(i)
logger_root.warning('Minute:'+str(i))
print('Write access:', os.access(fname, os.W_OK))
if(i%10==0):
logger_root.error('FLUSH!!!'+str(i))
time.sleep(60)
Is there something horribly wrong with my logging process or is it because of the network drive? And does anyone of you have any ideas on how to tackle this issue? Would storing the whole information in the memory and writing it to a file in the end solve the problem? How would I best achieve this? Another idea would be to log on the local drive and then automatically copy the file to the network drive, when the script is done. Any help is strongly appreciated as I have tried to identify and solve this problem for several days now.
Thank you!