I design a data management strategy for a big IoT company. Our use case is fairly typical, we ingest large quantities of data, analyze them, and produce datasets that customers can query to learn about the insights they need.
I am looking at both Azure Data Explorer and the Data Warehouse side of Azure Synapse Analytics (a.k.a Azure SQL Data Warehouse) and find many commonalities. Yes, they use different languages and a different query engine on the backend, but both serve as a "serving layer" that customers use to query read-only data at a large scale. I could not find any clear guidance from Microsoft about how to choose between the two, or maybe it makes sense to use them together? In that case, what is the best use case or type of data for each of the services?
If you can enlighten me please share your thoughts here. If you know about some guidance about the matter please reply with a link.