Why can't I go to sign in page to Gitlab.com from Browser?

Viewed 2924

I went to about.gitlab.com. from there I clicked on sign in. The browser keeps showing: "Checking your browser before accessing gitlab.com.". This has been going on for 10 hours. I have Already tried clearing my cookies and restarting my pc. This did not yield any result. My firewall is turned off so it isn't a firewall issue.

3 Answers

This is so extremely frustrating and makes me want to move everything back from GitLab to GitHub.

In my case, the addon that GitLab (actually cloudflare) didn't like was the Chameleon (Random Agent Spoofer) plugin, which I use to prevent tracking/fingerprinting across websites.

Thanks Cloudflare for depending on fingerprinting and effectively issuing a DOS attack on GitLab customers that use tools to protect themselves.

That seems related to a DDOS protection by Cloudflare (since GitLab has changed ts CDN provider to Cloudflare last March 2020

GitLab.com users with a whitelist of sites in their firewall setup will need to change what is whitelisted for GitLab.com.
For the initial change, we will be switching DNS to Cloudflare. This will cause all GitLab.com traffic to be proxied through Cloudflare.
This change will be visible by changes in DNS records queried for GitLab.com. A whitelist of IPs can be found here.

The OP freeroamer90 reports in the comments:

  • it is working in incognito mode
  • the issue seems related to the Quick Heal Anti Tracker extension (Firefox or Chrome) which was blocking the site.

This also happens when privacy.resistFingerprinting is enabled in Firefox. This is the relevant GitLab issue (#14234).

There are also discussions on this on GitLab’s forums:

and on the Cloudfare forums:

This is just terrible! As others have mentioned, sites like GitHub have no problem with this. Not a good impression at all from GitLab.

Related