I'm trying to write a method, union(), that will return an int array, and it takes two int array parameters and check if they are sets, or in other words have duplicates between them. I wrote another method, isSet(), it takes one array argument and check if the array is a set. The problem is I want to check if the two arrays in the union method have duplicates between them, if they do, I want to extract one of the duplicates and put it in the unionArray[] int array. This is what I tried so far.
public int[] union(int[] array1, int[] array2){
int count = 0;
if (isSet(array1) && isSet(array2)){
for (int i = 0; i < array1.length; i++){
for (int j = 0; j < array2.length; j++){
if (array1[i] == array2[j]){
System.out.println(array2[j]);
count ++;
}
}
}
}
int[] array3 = new int[array2.length - count];
int[] unionArray = new int[array1.length + array3.length];
int elementOfUnion = 0;
for (int i = 0; i< array1.length; i++){
unionArray[i] = array1[i];
elementOfUnion = i + 1 ;
}
int index = 0;
for (int i = elementOfUnion; i < unionArray.length; i++){
unionArray[i] = array3[index];
index++;
}
return unionArray;
}
public boolean isSet(int[] array){
boolean duplicates = true;
for (int i = 0; i < array.length; i++){
for(int n = i+1; n < array.length; n++){
if (array[i] == array[n])
duplicates = false;
}
}
return duplicates;
}
What I was trying to do is to use all of array1 elements in the unionArray, check if array2 has any duplicates with array1, and then move all the non-duplicate elements from array2 to a new array3, and concatenate array3 to unionArray.
