Packer with vsphere waiting for IP timeout

Viewed 1901
1 Answers

I’ve had similar issues with vsphere-iso packer build. It was caused by using the wrong IP for the HTTP directory especially when I was on my company’s VPN vs being hardwired. Thus, it was continually stuck at 'Waiting for IP'. The issue was the order of priority that packer uses to determine what interface to use for the HTTP directory which contains my kickstarter file. The interface that it was choosing was not accessible from the vsphere instance. Could this be the issue?

How we solved this, is that we actually have a shell wrapper that calls packer. Within that script, we ask the user for an IP that the HTTP directory should be accessed at. I use ifconfig and look at the 10. IP in the list. The shell script passes on that environmental variable to my packer's build.json. Its not the cleanest solution, but Ive been using this fix for months.

Related