BibTeX: I didn't find a database entry for "" -- empty database entry?

Viewed 2180

I am working on a Latex template and I keep getting the following error:

BibTeX: I didn't find a database entry for ""

At first I though something in my bib had an unexpected empty citation, but there is none. I've also tried to rename the bib file, no luck... any ideas? I've look everywhere and I can't find a solution yet. Any help is appreciated.

2 Answers

It could be possible there's a non-display character (like a zero width space, for example) that got into one of your citations.

Try doing a find command for "cite{" and compare it with the number of results for "cite". If there's a difference then you've found the citation with a stray character in it, and you can just copy a properly formatted string and paste in place.

There could also be such a character within after the bracket which will cause the same problem, but that will be a bit harder to find.

I thought of this thanks to this question where the author also had a problem with a non-displaying character getting into his citation. https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/33416/bibtex-i-didnt-find-a-database-entry-for

Try searching any .tex files in your project for an empty citation, in my case I found a \cite{} causing the issue

Related