I wrote a method that takes a JWT as a request and checks if the signature is valid.
This is the unit test:
@Test
public void isValid() {
final JwtValidator jwtValidator = JwtValidator.getInstance();
final boolean valid = jwtValidator.isValid("eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJzdWIiOiIxMjM0NTY3ODkwIiwibmFtZSI6IkpvaG4gRG9lIiwiaWF0IjoxNTE2MjM5MDIyfQ.SflKxwRJSMeKKF2QT4fwpMeJf36POk6yJV_adQssw5c");
Assert.isTrue(valid);
}
and this is the code:
@SneakyThrows
public boolean isValid(String extractedToken) {
final String[] tokenParts = extractedToken.split(Pattern.quote("."));
String header = tokenParts[0];
String payload = tokenParts[1];
String signature = tokenParts[2];
final byte[] calcHmacSha256 = HMAC.calcHmacSha256("your-256-bit-secret".getBytes(), (header+"."+payload).getBytes());
final String s = Base64.getEncoder().encodeToString(calcHmacSha256);
System.out.println("'" + signature + "'.equals('"+s+"')");
return signature.equals(s);
}
The log prints two strings that differ only for 2 chars, so I feel like I'm close "but not quite" to make it work:
'SflKxwRJSMeKKF2QT4fwpMeJf36POk6yJV_adQssw5c'.equals('SflKxwRJSMeKKF2QT4fwpMeJf36POk6yJV/adQssw5c=')
There are of course hard coded values because the implementation isn't complete, but I'm using the example values in https://jwt.io/ for ease of use right now.
Thanks!
EDIT 1:
public class JwtValidatorTest {
@Test
public void isValid() {
byte[] header64 = Base64.getEncoder().encode("{\"alg\":\"HS256\",\"typ\":\"JWT\"}".getBytes());
byte[] payload64 = Base64.getEncoder().encode("{\"sub\":\"1234567890\",\"name\":\"John Doe\",\"iat\":1516239022}".getBytes());
final byte[] calcHmacSha256 = HMAC.calcHmacSha256("your-256-bit-secret".getBytes(), (header64+"."+payload64).getBytes());
final String signature64 = Base64.getEncoder().encodeToString(calcHmacSha256);
final String input = header64 + "." + payload64 + "." + signature64;
final JwtValidator jwtValidator = JwtValidator.getInstance();
final boolean valid = jwtValidator.isValid(input);
Assert.isTrue(valid);
}
}