Deny maintenance period configured while CloudSQL instance is already scheduled for routine maintenance

Viewed 341

I just specified a "Deny maintenance period" from 1.12.2020 and 31.01.2021

Now I saw that there is already a Maintenance scheduled by Google for my CloudSQL-Instance for Wednesday, 09/12/2020 at 12:00 pm. This information is still displayed also after I configured the "Deny maintenance period".

Summary

  • On the one hand Google tells me that "instance is scheduled for routine maintenance on Wednesday, 09/12/2020 at 12:00 pm"
  • On the other hand I have a maintenance deny period set that includes the schedule for routine maintenance

My question is now: Will the maintenance take place on the Wednesday, 09/12/2020 at 12:00 pm with the current configuration or not ?

Information about my configuration

Type: MySQL-2nd-Gen

A call to gcloud sql instances describe <instance-name-omitted>

...
  denyMaintenancePeriods:
  - endDate: 0-1-31
    startDate: 0-12-1
    time: 00:00:00
...

Whereas CloudSQL-Overview displays

Upcoming
This instance is scheduled for routine maintenance on Wednesday, 09/12/2020 at 12:00 pm (UTC+1). 
Deny maintenance period
You can specify times when maintenance shouldn't occur using gcloud. Learn more

This makes me think "Why isn't the configured Deny maintenance period shown in the overview ?"

What did I find in Googles documentation

Documentation on Deny maintenance period says

The deny maintenance period takes precedence over any scheduled maintenance window.
If there is a conflict between the timing of a maintenance window and the deny maintenance period,
the deny maintenance period overrides the maintenance window.

Documentation on How do I reschedule maintenance says

You can reschedule maintenance to a time that falls within a deny maintenance period,
or even outside the maintenance window, as long as the time falls within the one week 
rescheduling limitation.
1 Answers

The documentation is a bit ambigous on that matter in the links you shared but the most important part is:

The deny maintenance period takes precedence over any scheduled maintenance window. If there is a conflict between the timing of a maintenance window and the deny maintenance period, the deny maintenance period overrides the maintenance window.

So if you have that maintenance window schedule for Wednesday, 09/12/2020 at 12:00 pm and that is a deny maintenance period, it will not go through maintenance, which makes sense from a design perspective.

I believe that the reason why Cloud SQL allows you to reschedule a maintenance window to a deny maintenance period is simply in order to make that maintenance window "Inactive".

Related