How do you configure a Google Domain with Digital Ocean?

Viewed 925

For context, I'm working through the Obey the Testing Goat book for Test-Driven Development with Python/Django and am on chapter 9. I purchased a domain from Google, specified the three customer name servers for Digital Ocean on Google Domains, created a Digital Ocean droplet, set up DNS A-records that point to my subdomains on my site, and uploaded my repository server-side. However, when I try to curl the website address development server via Git Bash from my local machine, I get the error:

curl: (6) Could not resolve host: <my-domain-here>

This same error does not happen when I curl server-side. I've confirmed through DNS checkers that the server propagated. Nothing I've tried gets me passed this step of curling. I realize the issue could be multiple things, but I just started learning web-frameworks and don't have a frame of reference on how to debug.

Thanks in advance!

1 Answers

It seems like your local DNS server (maybe the one of your internet providers) has cached the (no)-reply for your domain/subdomain. Try to wait some time (normally up to 24h) and try again.

If you would like to test this you could try on Linux (I don't know how it's working on Windows):

dig NS <domainname>

This will show you the nameserver of your domain that your local DNS server has in cache. Also the TTL (time to live; in seconds) is given. If they are correct it could also be that the empty response of your subdomain is cached. This can you check with (for example A record, could also be AAAA):

dig A <domainname>
Related