Unable to change RDS instance class

Viewed 1388

I'm trying to upgrade the instance class of our database to increase capacity, but whenever I try I get an error

An error occurred (InvalidParameterCombination) when calling the ModifyDBInstance operation: Invalid max storage size for engine name mysql and storage type gp2: 1001

I've tried using the RDS console, and the CLI but get the same error.

I have absolutely no clue what this error means though. For storage, we have the following configuration:

storage config

When I first setup the database, the storage was much smaller. We increased the storage to 1000GB to get more IOPs but everything was valid then. How can it be invalid now?

2 Answers

You have allocated storage of 1000, and with autoscaling enabled, you need to have at least 10% larger storage for the Maximum storage threshold but you only have 1001.

Generelly speaking, when you increase the allocated storage, it must be by at least 10 percent so it does not make sence to have autoscaling enabled in your case, if you still want autoscaling then change the max storage to be at least 1100.

Related