I have a sample script called sample.sh which takes three inputs X,Y and Z
>> cat sample.sh
#! /bin/bash
X=$1
Y=$2
Z=#3
file=X$1_Y$2_Z$3
echo `hostname` `date` >> ./$file
Now I can give parameters in the following way:
parallel ./sample.sh {1} {2} {3} ::: 1.0000 1.1000 ::: 2.0000 2.1000 ::: 3.0000 3.1000
Or I could do:
parallel ./sample.sh {1} {2} {3} :::: xlist ylist zlist
where xlist, ylist and zlist are files which contain the parameter list.
But what if I want to have one file called parameter.dat?
>>> cat parameter.dat
#xlist
1.0000 1.1000
#ylist
2.0000 2.1000
#zlist
3.0000 3.1000
I can use awk to read parameter.dat and produce temporary files called xlist, ylist and so on... But is there a better way using gnu-parallel itself?
Ultimately what I am looking for is to simply add more lines of xlist,ylist and zlist to parameter.dat and use the last instance of xlist, ylist or zlist to run sample.sh with, so that I keep a record of the parameter runs I have already done in parameter.dat itself. I am looking for an elegant way to do this.
Edit: My current solution is:
#! /bin/bash
tail -1 < parameter.dat | head -1 | awk '{$1=$1};1' | tr ' ' '\n' > zlist
tail -3 < parameter.dat | head -1 | awk '{$1=$1};1' | tr ' ' '\n' > ylist
tail -5 < parameter.dat | head -1 | awk '{$1=$1};1' | tr ' ' '\n' > xlist
parallel ./sample.sh {1} {2} {3} :::: xlist ylist zlist
rm xlist ylist zlist