I created the following code to find parity of a binary number (i.e output 1 if the number of 1's in the binary word is odd, output 0 if the number of 1's is even).
public class CalculateParity {
String binaryword;
int totalones = 0;
public CalculateParity(String binaryword) {
this.binaryword = binaryword;
getTotal();
}
public int getTotal() {
for(int i=0; i<binaryword.length(); i++) {
if (binaryword.charAt(i) == '1'){
totalones += 1;
}
}
return totalones;
}
public int calcParity() {
if (totalones % 2 == 1) {
return 1;
}
else {
return 0;
}
}
public static void main(String[] args) {
CalculateParity bin = new CalculateParity("1011101");
System.out.println(bin.calcParity());
}
}
However, all of the solutions I find online almost always deal with using bit shift operators, XORs, unsigned shift operations, etc., like this solution I found in a data structure book:
public static short parity(long x){
short result = 0;
while (x != 0) {
result A=(x&1);
x >>>= 1;
}
return result;
}
Why is this the case? What makes bitwise operators more of a valid/standard solution than the solution I came up with, which is simply iterating through a binary word of type String? Is a bitwise solution more efficient? I appreciate any help!