Install win32com on MacOs and Linux

Viewed 5224

My question is simple: can I install win32com python API (pywin32 notably) on an OS that is not Windows?

I have been trying, on Mac, multiple versions of pip install pywin32, all have failed. An example below:

enter image description here

If you managed to install it on Linux I am also interested as I wrote it.

I am using python 3.7.8.

Thanks.

1 Answers

Win32COM is part of [GitHub]: mhammond/pywin32 - pywin32.
According to the (above) URL, the package is only designed to work on Win:

Python for Win32 (pywin32) extensions

So, this is Win specific (it was never intended for other OSes).

As for your question, technically you could install it on Linux, or OSX (it is possible with some manual steps), but that would make absolutely no difference, because (even if installed) it would NOT run on those platforms, as it contains (consists of) binaries (.dlls) that don't run (can't be loaded by processes) on non Win OSes.

Just looked at the comments: [MS.Docs]: Office.MessageCompose interface is available on OSX, but you'd have to write the bindings yourself (their examples are in JS).

Related