I am trying to use git on my shared hosting on Hostgator but I am having issues establishing a connection with Github. I already tried tons of answers online but nothing have changed so far.
These are the steps that I followed in order to achieve that (I used this github guide):
On my machine,
1. I made a new key with ssh-keygen -t ed25519 -C "myemail@address.com"
2. I saved it into the file ~/.ssh/remote_github.pub, the file has no
passphrase
3. Then I ran eval "$(ssh-agent -s)"
4. In my ~/.ssh/config file I specified
Host *
Hostname IP-ADDRESS-OF-SERVER
AddKeysToAgent yes
IdentityFile ~/.ssh/remote_github
IdentitiesOnly yes
5. I copied the public key with pbcopy < ~/.ssh/remote_github.pub and saved it into my github account
6. Then I ran ssh-copy-id -i ~/.ssh/remote_github.pub myuser@remoteserver
And the answer was
INFO: Source of key(s) to be installed: "/Users/mattiabombelli/.ssh/remote_github.pub"
/usr/bin/ssh-copy-id: INFO: attempting to log in with the new key(s), to filter out any that are already installed
/usr/bin/ssh-copy-id: INFO: 1 key(s) remain to be installed -- if you are prompted now it is to install the new keys
mbombelli@192.254.233.200's password:
After inserting the password:
Number of key(s) added: 1
Now try logging into the machine, with: "ssh 'myuser@remoteserver'"
and check to make sure that only the key(s) you wanted were added.
Checking the authorized_keys file on the server I see the same exact public key remote_github.pub stored in my machine*
7. But at this point, if I try to run ssh -T -v git@github.com
This is what I get:
OpenSSH_5.3p1, OpenSSL 1.0.1e-fips 11 Feb 2013
debug1: Connecting to github.com [140.82.113.3] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /home1/mbombelli/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /home1/mbombelli/.ssh/identity-cert type -1
debug1: identity file /home1/mbombelli/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /home1/mbombelli/.ssh/id_rsa-cert type -1
debug1: identity file /home1/mbombelli/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: identity file /home1/mbombelli/.ssh/id_dsa-cert type -1
debug1: identity file /home1/mbombelli/.ssh/id_ecdsa type -1
debug1: identity file /home1/mbombelli/.ssh/id_ecdsa-cert type -1
debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version babeld-c863b32e
debug1: no match: babeld-c863b32e
debug1: Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.3
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug1: kex: server->client aes128-ctr hmac-sha1 none
debug1: kex: client->server aes128-ctr hmac-sha1 none
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST(1024<2048<8192) sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REPLY
debug1: Host 'github.com' is known and matches the RSA host key.
debug1: Found key in /home1/mbombelli/.ssh/known_hosts:1
debug1: ssh_rsa_verify: signature correct
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT received
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey
debug1: Next authentication method: publickey
debug1: Trying private key: /home1/mbombelli/.ssh/identity
debug1: Trying private key: /home1/mbombelli/.ssh/id_rsa
debug1: Trying private key: /home1/mbombelli/.ssh/id_dsa
debug1: Trying private key: /home1/mbombelli/.ssh/id_ecdsa
debug1: No more authentication methods to try.
Permission denied (publickey).
I also made sure to change the permissions on the server with chmod 700 ~/.ssh and chmod 600 ~/.ssh/authorized_keys but the answer is always Permission denied (publickey).
What am I doing wrong? Or missing?
Thank you.
*the authorized_keys file contains also another ssh-rsa public key.