I have an NMDS ordination that I've plotted using ggplot2. I've added environmental vectors on top (from the envfit() function in vegan) using geom_segment() and added corresponding labels to the same coordinates as the segments using geom_text() (code below):
ggplot() +
geom_point(data = nmds.sites.plot, aes(x = NMDS1, y = NMDS2, col = greening), size = 2) +
labs(title = "Study Area",
col = "Sites") +
geom_polygon(data = hull.data, aes(x = NMDS1, y = NMDS2, fill = grp, group = grp), alpha = 0.2) +
scale_fill_discrete(name = "Ellipses",
labels = c("High", "Moderate", "Control")) +
xlim(c(-1, 1)) +
guides(shape = guide_legend(order = 1),
colour = guide_legend(order = 2)) +
geom_segment(data = env.arrows,
aes(x = 0, xend = NMDS1, y = 0, yend = NMDS2),
arrow = arrow(length = unit(0.25, "cm")),
colour = "black", inherit.aes = FALSE) +
geom_text(data = env.arrows, aes(x = NMDS1, y = NMDS2, label = rownames(env.arrows))) +
coord_fixed() +
theme_bw() +
theme(text = element_text(size = 14))
However, since the labels are justified to centre, part of the label sometimes overlaps with the end of the arrow. I want to have the text START at the end of the arrow. In some other cases, if the arrow is pointing up, it pushes into the middle of the text. Essentially, I want to be able to see both the arrow head AND the text.
I have tried using geom_text_repel() from the ggrepel package but the placement seems random (and will also repel from other points or text in the plot (or just not do anything at all).
[EDIT]
Below are the coordinates of the NMDS vectors (this is the env.arrows object from the example code above):
NMDS1 NMDS2
Variable1 -0.46609087 0.27567532
Variable2 -0.21524887 -0.10128795
Variable3 0.59093184 0.03423775
Variable4 -0.00136418 0.46550043
Variable5 -0.30900813 -0.19659929
Variable6 0.53510347 -0.36387227
Variable7 0.66376246 -0.05220685

