I have a gatsby.js application with mapbox-gl and it all worked successfully until I tried to include the mapbox-gl-geocoder package to add search functionality.
I have installed it using npm as the following:
npm install mapbox/mapbox-gl-geocoder --save
then, added it to the React component:
import '@mapbox/mapbox-gl-geocoder/lib/mapbox-gl-geocoder.css';
import MapboxGeocoder from '@mapbox/mapbox-gl-geocoder';
and inside a useEffect hook:
map.addControl(
new MapboxGeocoder({
accessToken: mapboxgl.accessToken,
zoom: 20,
placeholder: 'Enter City',
mapboxgl: mapboxgl
}), 'top-left'
);
locally, when I run gatsby develop it works as it should, but when I deploy it with Netlify, I get the following error:
:24:21 PM: error Generating SSR bundle failed
1:24:21 PM: Can't resolve 'electron' in '/opt/build/repo/node_modules/@mapbox/mapbox-sdk/node_modules/got'
1:24:21 PM: If you're trying to use a package make sure that 'electron' is installed. If you're trying to use a local file make sure that the path is correct.
it seems that mapbox-gl-geocoder has a dependency to @mapbox/mapbox-sdk and the mapbox-sdk has a dependency to got that somehow needs electron ?
The only thing i can read about electron in the got npm page is the following:
Electron support has been removed
The Electron net module is not consistent with the Node.js http module. See #899 for more info.
In any way, I tried to install electron with npm to see if the errors are gone, and the build started to fail with new error indicating that the window object is not available.
10:35:45 AM: error "window" is not available during server side rendering.
Googling that error led me to some answers about not loading the packages in gatsby-node.js but that didn't help either.