Can you re-"init" a Facebook pixel with different dataProcessing options?

Viewed 249

With the advent of the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), it's been necessary for some of our clients to implement Limited Data Usage (LDU) policies for Facebook. Our accepted practice has been to explicitly disable LDU fbq('dataProcessingOptions', []) until a user opts out (via a consent plugin). Here's the crux of my problem. Once a user opts out, I'd like to re-initialize the Facebook pixel with LDU enabled fbq('dataProcessingOptions', ['LDU'], 0, 0) so that future events on the page are processed using the LDU policies. Is it possible to simply call fbq('init', '{pixel_id}') a second time and have this "flag" set?

1 Answers

The Google Chrome Facebook Pixel extension will show what is sent for each event.

I was hoping that maybe sending something like fbq('trackCustom', 'optOut') might trigger it to re-send updated dataProcessing options, but it doesn't seem to.

Facebook is shooting everyone in the foot by not making this process clearer - it should absolutely be possible to wipe out data collected for the session and that's clearly the best way to do it.

I've spent all weekend trying to do this correctly from both technical and legal stand point and it's just a nightmare. CCPA is supposed to be opt-out!

This doesn't work:

// CCPA Notice. We allow California users to opt-out from Facebook's data collection by means
// of our 'Do not sell my information' link at the bottom of our website. Please use this link
// to trigger an opt-out via Facebook's API. Questions: privacy at example.com
fbq('dataProcessingOptions', []);
fbq('init', account_id);
fbq('track', 'PageView');


optOut()
{
   fbq('dataProcessingOptions', ['LDO'], 1, 1000);
   fbq('trackCustom', 'registerOptOut');
}

I'd recommend putting some text here because people are out to get us by finding vulnerable websites and this makes it look like I know what I'm doing.

Related