I am quite new to the ethernet world. So please bear with me if I do ask stupid questions.
I designed a PCB using Atmega328P+ENC28J60 chip (schematic attached in the images below - sch1, sch2). The function of this board is basically sending GET requests to the server and retrieve a set of json data to turn on output pins, so based on my understanding my board acts as a client only right? The code is attached below:
#include <EEPROM.h>
#include <ArduinoJson.h>
#include <EthernetENC.h>
#define OUT0 2
#define OUT1 A3
#define OUT2 A2
#define OUT3 A1
#define OUT4 A0
#define OUT5 9
#define OUT6 8
#define OUT7 7
#define OUT8 6
#define OUT9 5
#define CS 10
// mac: 46 57 5a 6b 48 51
#define HOSTNAME "autolighting.afa-sports.com"
#define ID_SIZE 6
static byte mac[ID_SIZE];
static char macBuffer[ID_SIZE*2+1];
const byte output[] PROGMEM = {OUT0, OUT1, OUT2, OUT3, OUT4, OUT5, OUT6, OUT7, OUT8, OUT9};
EthernetClient client;
void clientRead() {
StaticJsonDocument<40> filter;
StaticJsonDocument<120> doc;
filter.clear();
doc.clear();
filter["data"]["relay_actions"] = true;
client.find("\r\n\r\n");
deserializeJson(doc, client, DeserializationOption::Filter(filter));
client.flush();
delay(50);
if (!doc["data"]["relay_actions"].isNull()) {
for (byte i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
// Serial.print(doc["data"]["relay_actions"][i].as<bool>());
digitalWrite(pgm_read_byte_near(&output[i]), doc["data"]["relay_actions"][i].as<bool>());
}
// Serial.println();
}
filter.clear();
doc.clear();
}
void sendReq() {
client.println(F("GET /api/iot/master-controller/get-command HTTP/1.1"));
client.println(F("Host: autolighting.afa-sports.com"));
// client.println(F("DEVICE-ID: 46575a6b4851"));
client.print(F("DEVICE-ID: "));
client.println(macBuffer);
client.println(F("Connection: close"));
client.println();
}
void setup() {
Serial.begin(115200);
for (byte i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
pinMode(pgm_read_byte_near(&output[i]), OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(pgm_read_byte_near(&output[i]), LOW);
}
for (uint8_t i = 0; i < ID_SIZE; i++) {
byte charByte = EEPROM.read(i);
if (charByte != 0) {
char temp[2];
mac[i] = charByte;
itoa(mac[i], temp, 16);
strcat(macBuffer, strlwr(temp)); // REMOVE strlwr IN RELEASE VERSION
free(temp);
delay(10);
}
}
strcat(macBuffer, '\0');
Ethernet.init(CS);
while (!Ethernet.begin(mac));
client.setTimeout(5000);
delay(1000);
}
void loop() {
while (!Ethernet.begin(mac)); // init fail
delay(1000);
if (client.connect(HOSTNAME, 80)) {
sendReq();
clientRead();
client.stop();
}
delay(3000);
}
Due to the high SRAM consumption and I might have other things (not sure what yet) to add in to the board in the future, I tried to minimize the dynamic memory by changing this (in the uipethernet-conf.h file):
#define UIP_SOCKET_NUMPACKETS 5
#define UIP_CONF_MAX_CONNECTIONS 4
#define UIP_CONF_UDP_CONNS 4
to this:
#define UIP_SOCKET_NUMPACKETS 2
#define UIP_CONF_MAX_CONNECTIONS 2
#define UIP_CONF_UDP_CONNS 1
I'm wondering will this affect the system performance? Btw, I've also set the timeout to 5s
After 13 hours of smooth operation, the board freezes and only became normal when i hard-reset the board. Currently, I'm connecting my board to a wireless extender, because I am not sitting right next to the wifi router. It looks like a memory leakage issue to me, but does memory leakage issue still exists in the latest ArduinoJson and EthernetENC/UIPEthernet library?
P/S: I was using UIPEthernet.h previously, but someone guided me to try out the EthernetENC library, the memory consumption definitely gone down a little bit, but the freezing problem still persist
Feel free to point out any mistakes I make, still in the learning adventure. =) Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
Library version:
- ArduinoJson 6.17.2
- EthernetENC 2.0.0
- UIPEthernet 2.0.9

