Java ArrayList<String[]>

Viewed 88

I would like to create a 2D array named employees where I know the number of columns (fixed 5 and represent employee's data) but number of rows is somewhat dynamic. So I did something like this:

static ArrayList<String[]> employees = new ArrayList<String[]>();

I figured how to add employees but I can't figure out how to get a specific data out of one employee only, using .get() for example.

2 Answers

get would return a row, which is a String[]. If you want a specific value from it, you'll have to subscript it using the [] operator:

String specificData = employees.get(1)[2]; // Or any other indexes

the first dimension which is any ArrayList you have to call by get() method to access and then the returned value is an array which you cann access by index:

ArrayList<String[]> employees = new ArrayList<String[]>();
employees.add(new String[] {"a", "b"});
System.out.println(employees.get(0)[0]);
Related