WARNING: The character device /dev/vboxdrv does not exist

Viewed 3236

I am using WSL 2 for Microsoft Windows 10 (Ubuntu 20.04 WSL), and when I try to compile my code and run a Virtualbox process, using the ISO my code made, I get a really odd error.

osdev@DESKTOP-2VDARGU:/mnt/c/Users/(hiding name)/Desktop/MyOS$ WARNING: The character device /dev/vboxdrv does not exist.
         Please install the virtualbox-dkms package and the appropriate
         headers, most likely linux-headers-standard.

         You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.
Qt WARNING: could not connect to display
Qt FATAL: This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, xcb.

I have tried everything. I installed so many headers, I installed the virtualbox-dkms package, re-configured it, and much more. I'm baffled on why this doesn't work. If I could get some help, I would appreciate it very much.

If you need the code for the process that starts the VM, here you go:

run: mykernel.iso
    (killall VirtualBox && sleep 1) || true
    VirtualBox --startvm 'My Operating System' &

install: mykernel.bin
    sudo cp $< /boot/mykernel.bin

If you need any more code, please respond in the comments.

EDIT: I tried running modprobe vboxdrv and it threw this error:

modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found in directory /lib/modules/4.19.128-microsoft-standard

EDIT 2: output of rebuilding virtualbox-dkms:

-------- Uninstall Beginning --------
Module:  virtualbox
Version: 6.1.10
Kernel:  5.4.0-53-generic (x86_64)
-------------------------------------

Status: Before uninstall, this module version was ACTIVE on this kernel.

vboxdrv.ko:
 - Uninstallation
   - Deleting from: /lib/modules/5.4.0-53-generic/updates/dkms/
 - Original module
   - No original module was found for this module on this kernel.
   - Use the dkms install command to reinstall any previous module version.


vboxnetadp.ko:
 - Uninstallation
   - Deleting from: /lib/modules/5.4.0-53-generic/updates/dkms/
 - Original module
   - No original module was found for this module on this kernel.
   - Use the dkms install command to reinstall any previous module version.


vboxnetflt.ko:
 - Uninstallation
   - Deleting from: /lib/modules/5.4.0-53-generic/updates/dkms/
 - Original module
   - No original module was found for this module on this kernel.
   - Use the dkms install command to reinstall any previous module version.

depmod...

DKMS: uninstall completed.

------------------------------
Deleting module version: 6.1.10
completely from the DKMS tree.
------------------------------
Done.
Loading new virtualbox-6.1.10 DKMS files...
It is likely that 4.19.128-microsoft-standard belongs to a chroot's host
Building for 5.4.0-53-generic
Building initial module for 5.4.0-53-generic
Done.

vboxdrv.ko:
Running module version sanity check.
 - Original module
   - No original module exists within this kernel
 - Installation
   - Installing to /lib/modules/5.4.0-53-generic/updates/dkms/

vboxnetadp.ko:
Running module version sanity check.
 - Original module
   - No original module exists within this kernel
 - Installation
   - Installing to /lib/modules/5.4.0-53-generic/updates/dkms/

vboxnetflt.ko:
Running module version sanity check.
 - Original module
   - No original module exists within this kernel
 - Installation
   - Installing to /lib/modules/5.4.0-53-generic/updates/dkms/

depmod...

DKMS: install completed.
invoke-rc.d: could not determine current runlevel
0 Answers
Related