So, I am trying to do this hw problem: write a function that takes two arguments, a list and a number, and the function returns the index of the leftmost occurrence of the number in the list. For example:
If
'(1 2 3 3 4)andnum = 3, then it returns2If
'(3 2 3 3 4)andnum = 3, then it returns0
I was able to do that part but what if the number was never found? What if I want to return false when num is not found in the list? How do I do that?
Please remember, I am trying to do this in proper recursion, not tail recursion.
Here's my code.
(define (first_elt_occ lst num)
(cond
((null? lst) #f)
((eq? (car lst) num) 0)
(else
(+ 1 (first_elt_occ (cdr lst) num)))))
(first_elt_occ '(1 2 3 3 4) 3) ;2
(first_elt_occ '(3 2 3 3 4) 3) ;0
(first_elt_occ '(1 2 5 4 3) 3) ;4
(first_elt_occ '(1 2 5 4 3) 6) ;Error
;(makes sense because you can't add boolean expression)
Another question I have is, how would I approach this problem, if I was asked to return the index of the rightmost occurrence of the number in a list (proper recursion). For example: '(3 4 5 4 3 7 ), num = 3 returns 4.
Thank you!