How to modify xml using Beautiful Soup?

Viewed 515

I am trying to modify the lookup data elements in an xml file. A snippet of the xml is as follows:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Configuration>
    <Options>
        <SampleRate>1000</SampleRate>
        <MaxStateSize>1</MaxStateSize>
        <MaxOutputSize>1</MaxOutputSize>
    </Options>

    <CustomDefinitions>
        <MyRser class="OhmicResistance">
            <Object class="LookupObj2dWithState">
                <RowState cacheref="Soc"/>
                <ColState cacheref="ThermalState"/>
                <LookupData>
                    0.02597518381655694900, 0.02513715386193249600, 0.02394715132636577100, 0.02325996676357371800, 0.02317075771456176400, 0.02277814077034603900, 0.02267913709322775700, 0.02258569292134297900, 0.02235026503875497600, 0.02222478423822949300, 0.02207606555239715500, 0.02198493491067361700, 0.02188144525929673300, 0.02167985791309091600, 0.02145797158835977700, 0.02137484908165417400, 0.02126561803424023600, 0.02124462299304301700, 0.02123310358079429400, 0.02126287857906075300, 0.02094998489960795500, 0.02073326148328196600, 0.02062489977511897100, 0.02038933084432985300;
                </LookupData>
                <MeasurementPointsRow desc="StateOfCharge">
                -5, 0, 7.100000e+00, 1.120000e+01, 16, 2.080000e+01, 2.560000e+01, 3.040000e+01, 3.520000e+01, 4.010000e+01, 4.490000e+01, 4.970000e+01, 5.450000e+01, 5.930000e+01, 6.420000e+01, 69, 7.380000e+01, 7.860000e+01, 8.350000e+01, 8.830000e+01, 9.310000e+01, 9.770000e+01, 100, 105
                </MeasurementPointsRow>
                <MeasurementPointsColumn desc="ThermalState">
                25
                </MeasurementPointsColumn>
            </Object>
        </MyRser>

I want to modify the lookup data and save a copy of the xml with that modification. This is how I do it:

with open('....xml') as fp:
        contents = fp.read()
        soup = BeautifulSoup(contents, 'lxml')

        tag = soup.find(elem_name).find(elem_path).lookupdata
        tag.replace_with(str(values))

    #saves the modified data as a new xml version
    teslaname= elem_name+key
    
    with open('modified.xml', 'w') as file:  
        file.write(str(soup))
        file.close()

But , when I do this, the specific modification is done but it changes the xml structure.

 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><html><body><configuration>
<options>
<samplerate>1000</samplerate>
<maxstatesize>1</maxstatesize>
<maxoutputsize>1</maxoutputsize>
</options>
<customdefinitions>
<myrser class="OhmicResistance">
<object class="LookupObj2dWithState">
<rowstate cacheref="Soc"></rowstate>
<colstate cacheref="ThermalState"></colstate>
0.02217779408499339, 0.02217779408499339, 0.02217779408499339, 0.02217779408499339, 0.02217779408499339, 0.02217779408499339, 0.02217779408499339, 0.02217779408499339, 0.02217779408499339, 0.02217779408499339, 0.02217779408499339, 0.02217779408499339, 0.02217779408499339, 0.02217779408499339, 0.02217779408499339, 0.02217779408499339, 0.02217779408499339, 0.02217779408499339, 0.02217779408499339, 0.02217779408499339, 0.02217779408499339, 0.02217779408499339, 0.02217779408499339, 0.02217779408499339
<measurementpointsrow desc="StateOfCharge">
                -5, 0, 7.100000e+00, 1.120000e+01, 16, 2.080000e+01, 2.560000e+01, 3.040000e+01, 3.520000e+01, 4.010000e+01, 4.490000e+01, 4.970000e+01, 5.450000e+01, 5.930000e+01, 6.420000e+01, 69, 7.380000e+01, 7.860000e+01, 8.350000e+01, 8.830000e+01, 9.310000e+01, 9.770000e+01, 100, 105
                </measurementpointsrow>
<measurementpointscolumn desc="ThermalState">
                25
                </measurementpointscolumn>
</object>
</myrser>

And I want to preserve the structure and only modify the data. I know it can be done through ElementTree, but how I need my code to function, beautifulsoup is more simpler to use. So if considering only to use beautifulsoup, how can I edit and save a copy of xml without losing the original structure of xml? Any help would be appreciated.

2 Answers

To keep the XML structure, use the .prettify() method when writing to the file:

file.write(str(soup.prettify()))

Note:

  1. BeautifulSoup converts the XML tags to lowercase.

  2. Since your opening the file using a context manager, there's no need to close the file using file.close(), the file will automatically close when exiting the indentation block.

Using lxml, you can do something along the lines of:

from lxml import etree
config = """[your xml above, corrected - it's not well formed]"""
new_values = "1,2,3,4"
doc = etree.XML(config.encode())
target = doc.xpath('//LookupData')[0]
target.text = new_values
print(etree.tostring(doc).decode())

Output:

<Configuration>
    <Options>
        <SampleRate>1000</SampleRate>
        <MaxStateSize>1</MaxStateSize>
        <MaxOutputSize>1</MaxOutputSize>
    </Options>

    <CustomDefinitions>
        <MyRser class="OhmicResistance">
            <Object class="LookupObj2dWithState">
                <RowState cacheref="Soc"/>
                <ColState cacheref="ThermalState"/>
                <LookupData>1,2,3,4</LookupData>
                <MeasurementPointsRow desc="StateOfCharge">
                -5, 0, 7.100000e+00, 1.120000e+01, 16, 2.080000e+01, 2.560000e+01, 3.040000e+01, 3.520000e+01, 4.010000e+01, 4.490000e+01, 4.970000e+01, 5.450000e+01, 5.930000e+01, 6.420000e+01, 69, 7.380000e+01, 7.860000e+01, 8.350000e+01, 8.830000e+01, 9.310000e+01, 9.770000e+01, 100, 105
                </MeasurementPointsRow>
                <MeasurementPointsColumn desc="ThermalState">
                25
                </MeasurementPointsColumn>
            </Object>
        </MyRser>
        </CustomDefinitions>
    </Configuration>
Related