I'm working on writing a function that queries a SQL database and I'm encountering a ReadOnlyMemoryError() that has me stumped. The issue is that when I run my code as a simple script everything functions as expected. But when I try to wrap the exact same code in a function I get the ReadOnlyMemoryError().
Here's the script version of my code:
using ODBC
using DBInterface
using Dates
using DataFrames
server = "server string "
username = "username "
password = " password"
db = " db name"
start_date=Nothing
end_date=Nothing
if start_date == Nothing || typeof(start_date) != "Date"
start_date = Dates.today() - Dates.Day(30)
end
if end_date == Nothing || typeof(end_date) != "Date"
end_date = Dates.today()
end
query = """ SQL SELECT statement """
connect_string = "DRIVER={ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server};SERVER=" * server *
";DATABASE=" * db *
";UID=" * username *
";PWD=" * password
conn = ODBC.Connection(connect_string)
df = DBInterface.execute(conn, query) |> DataFrame
This works as expected, the result is a dataframe df with about 500k rows. However, when I try use this same code to make a reusable function I get the error:
using ODBC
using DBInterface
using Dates
using DataFrames
function get_cf_data(start_date=Nothing, end_date=Nothing)
server = " server string "
username = " user name"
password = " password"
db = " db "
if start_date == Nothing || typeof(start_date) != "Date"
start_date = Dates.today() - Dates.Day(30)
end
if end_date == Nothing || typeof(end_date) != "Date"
end_date = Dates.today()
end
query = """ SQL SELECT statement """
connect_string = "DRIVER={ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server};SERVER=" * server *
";DATABASE=" * db *
";UID=" * username *
";PWD=" * password
conn = ODBC.Connection(connect_string)
df = DBInterface.execute(conn, query) |> DataFrame
return df
end
In this case, when I try to call from REPL get_cf_data() I get ERROR: ReadOnlyMemoryError(). I'm somewhat new to Julia, so any insight would be very much appreciated. Thank you!