Problem
I am building in app (with Kivy) which renders some custom widgets to the screen. Unfortunately, their positions (relative to other widgets) changes when the tablet on which I am running the app is rotated. Now I have built a function that repositions them, and I would like to call this function when the tablet is rotated. How can I implement this?
My attempts so far...
I have seen from the Kivy documentation that the Window class has an on_rotate event, and have tried to incorporate this into my program in several different ways.
First, I tried implementing the callback after the if __name__ == '__main__' statement. Something like:
if __name__ == '__main__':
app = MainApp()
Window.on_rotate = lambda: app.reposition_widgets()
app.run()
That did nothing. In vain I also tried:
if __name__ == '__main__':
app = MainApp()
Window.on_rotate(app.reposition_widgets)
app.run()
I then attempted to bind the widgets to on_rotate events, something like:
class CustomWidget(Widget):
def __init__(self, **kwargs)
super().__init__(**kwargs)
self.bind(on_rotate = self.reposition_widgets)
That did nothing. Neither did:
class CustomWidget(Widget):
def __init__(self, **kwargs)
super().__init__(**kwargs)
on_rotate = reposition_widgets
My final attempt was to create a Window class in the accompanying kv file and the Python file, then specify the on_rotate event from there. Something like:
#kv file
Window:
on_rotate: app.reposition_widgets()
That didn't work either.
Possible work around
To be honest, rotating the screen is not all that useful for my app, and so it wouldn't be all that bad if I just disabled screen rotation. However, I was not able to find a good way of doing so in the documentation. Do you know how I would go about doing this?
Binding the widgets to the
on_posevent - or something similar. Something like:
class CustomWidget:
def reposition_widgets():
# Code here
on_pos = reposition_widgets
The problem with this is that the widgets move about a lot, which means that the function gets called a lot - causing problems elsewhere.
Let me know if you would like to see more code. I have over 1000 lines spread over several files, and felt that just copy-and-pasting wouldn't be particularly useful.