I am writing a Java multithreaded application that hits millions and sometimes billions of URLs of different web servers. The idea is to check if those URLs gives a valid 200OK response or 404/some other code.
How can I know if my program is not causing high traffic on their servers? I don't want a DOS attack to happen.There are almost ~ 8 million URLs of each server .
To check traffic this I created a simple webpage hosted at http://localhost:8089/ .My application is hitting this page 2 million times not all at once but one by one . I want to know efficiency of my code in the sense I don't overload network traffic.
netstat shows a lot of threads in TIME_WAIT.
How can I know the traffic to this page. Is there any software I can use to track this?or any Linux command or something . I am open to suggestions too.