Setup Notepad++ editor in git Bash Console and Need some Reason

Viewed 75

I want to set up Notepad++ editor for my Git Bash as my default editor is vi.

So, I have used this git config command.

git config --global core.editor "'C:/Program Files (x86)/Notepad++/notepad++.exe' -multiInst -notabbar -nosession -noPlugin"

I tried to find out the reason why we have to use

-multiInst
-notabbar
-nosession
-noPlugin

for my git Notepad++ editor but didn't get it. I just want to know about this config. If this question is repeated then give me the answered link and I'll delete my post for better.

1 Answers

While you can remove the arguments, it is not recommended. Notepad++ would work but there are a few things may annoy you.

See the manual for more information.

  • multiInst is used so that notepad++ starts in a new window if it is already started. Without that argument, it would open a new tab and you will need to close notepad++ in order to make the commit.
  • notabbar just removes the tab bar as you don't need it.
  • nosession does not open previously opened files in notepad++ when editing the commit message.
  • noplugin starts notepad++ without plugins. This makes it faster to start.
Related