Swift UINavigationBar background image does not cover status bar when clipToBounds is true

Viewed 366

I'm setting the background image of a large title navigation bar like this:

override func viewDidLoad() {
    super.viewDidLoad()
    
    navigationController?.navigationBar.prefersLargeTitles = true
    
    self.title = "Nav bar"
    
    let largeTitleAppearance = UINavigationBarAppearance()
    
    largeTitleAppearance.configureWithOpaqueBackground()
    largeTitleAppearance.backgroundImage = UIImage(named: "kunal-shinde--f0YLss50Bs-unsplash")
    largeTitleAppearance.backgroundImageContentMode = .scaleAspectFill
    largeTitleAppearance.titleTextAttributes = [.foregroundColor: UIColor.white]
    largeTitleAppearance.largeTitleTextAttributes = [.foregroundColor: UIColor.white]
    
    navigationController?.navigationBar.standardAppearance = largeTitleAppearance
    navigationController?.navigationBar.scrollEdgeAppearance = largeTitleAppearance
}

However, the image overflows out of the navigation bar as shown here:

enter image description here

I thought clipsToBounds might work so I set it to true at the end of viewDidLoad

navigationController?.navigationBar.clipsToBounds = true

enter image description here

This is better, but the image does not cover the status bar! How can I get it to cover the status bar while not overflowing?

1 Answers

We've solved this as followed:

We set the background image on ViewController. This is the same as we use in navigation bar.

let imageView = UIImageView(image: .assetImage(.background))
imageView.contentMode = .topLeft
collectionView.backgroundView = imageView

Style the navigation bar.

// General Styling
UINavigationBar.appearance().tintColor = .assetColor(.navigationBarTintColor)
        
// Bar Styling
let navBarAppearance = UINavigationBarAppearance()
navBarAppearance.shadowColor = .clear
navBarAppearance.backgroundColor = UIColor(patternImage: .assetImage(.background)!)
        
UINavigationBar.appearance().standardAppearance = navBarAppearance
UINavigationBar.appearance().scrollEdgeAppearance = navBarAppearance

In addition we change the translucent of the navigation bar for non-root views:

if isRootview {
    self.navigationController?.navigationBar.isTranslucent = true
} else {
    self.navigationController?.navigationBar.isTranslucent = false
}
Related