I need python newest version in raspberry pi.
I tried apt install python3 3.8
apt install python3 but this didnot work.
And I also needed to update my raspberry pi python IDLE
I need python newest version in raspberry pi.
I tried apt install python3 3.8
apt install python3 but this didnot work.
And I also needed to update my raspberry pi python IDLE
First update the Raspbian.
sudo apt-get update
Then install the prerequisites that will make any further installation of Python and/or packages much smoother.
sudo apt-get install -y build-essential tk-dev libncurses5-dev libncursesw5-dev libreadline6-dev libdb5.3-dev libgdbm-dev libsqlite3-dev libssl-dev libbz2-dev libexpat1-dev liblzma-dev zlib1g-dev libffi-dev
And then install Python, maybe by downloading a compressed file?
example 1 :
wget https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.8.0/Python-3.8.0.tgz
Extract the folder :
sudo tar zxf Python-3.8.0.tgz
Move into the folder :
cd Python-3.8.0
Initial configuration :
sudo ./configure --enable-optimizations
Run the makefile inside the folder with the mentioned parameters :
sudo make -j 4
Run again the makefile this time installing directly the package :
sudo make altinstall
Maybe You already did it but You don't know how to setup the new version as a default version of the system?
Check first that it has been installed :
python3.8 -V
Send a strong command to .bashrc telling him who (which version) is in charge of Python
echo "alias python=/usr/local/bin/python3.8" >> ~/.bashrc
Again! Tell him because .bashrc has to understand! I am joking - You have to source the file so the changes can be applied immediately :
source ~/.bashrc
And then check that Your system changed the default version of Python to Python 3.8
python -V
The failure depends on many factors : what dependencies are installed, what are the packages added to the source_list.d, some inconvenient coming up during the installation. All may give you more information than you think, just read carefully. Hope it helped.
Follow below commands to install the version which you want:
tar xf Python-3.x.x.tar.xz
cd Python-3.x.x
./configure --enable-optimizations
make
sudo make install
once completed run python -V
To all of you who got problem with freezing RPi 3 in step:
sudo make -j 4
just change it to:
sudo make -j 2
or simply:
sudo make
Best regards