ssh issues for github account

Viewed 754

I recently added added an ssh key to my github account using the steps recommended on the site.
When I try to clone repos from an organization that I am a member of, I get the following error message:

ERROR: Repository not found.
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.

I am pretty sure I have correct access rights because I can clone using HTTPS just fine.
Does anybody know of an easy solution to this problem?

1 Answers

First, make sure the URL used is the correct one (it is case sensitive), and uses the user 'git' (not your GitHub account name)

git clone git@github.com:<aUser>/<aRepository>
          ^^^^

Second, if the problem persists, follow Troubleshooting SSH

  • The private key might have been created with a passphrase (meaning you would need ssh-agent)
  • The environment variable GIT_SSH might be defined (and reference something else than openssh)
  • ...
Related