For learning how to use d3.js, I was trying to use titanic dataset for learning available on kaggle.
I am trying to achieve the objective:
Make a scatterplot of age vs fare with age in x axis and fare in y axis
Use the sex column to have male as square and female as circles in the scatterplot
Have opacity to indicate the condition - survived or not survived.
I have used the following code:
// set the dimensions and margins of the graph
var margin = {
top: 10,
right: 30,
bottom: 30,
left: 60
},
width = 460 - margin.left - margin.right,
height = 400 - margin.top - margin.bottom;
// append the svg object to the body of the page
var svg = d3.select("#my_dataviz")
.append("svg")
.attr("width", width + margin.left + margin.right)
.attr("height", height + margin.top + margin.bottom)
.append("g")
.attr("transform",
"translate(" + margin.left + "," + margin.top + ")");
//Read the data
d3.csv("https://gist.githubusercontent.com/michhar/2dfd2de0d4f8727f873422c5d959fff5/raw/fa71405126017e6a37bea592440b4bee94bf7b9e/titanic.csv", function(data) {
// Add X axis
var x = d3.scaleLinear()
.domain([0, 80])
.range([0, width]);
svg.append("g")
.attr("transform", "translate(0," + height + ")")
.call(d3.axisBottom(x));
// Add Y axis
var y = d3.scaleLinear()
.domain([0, 600])
.range([height, 0]);
svg.append("g")
.call(d3.axisLeft(y));
// Add dots
svg.append('g')
.selectAll("dot")
.data(data)
.enter()
.append("circle")
.attr("cx", function(d) {
return x(d.age);
})
.attr("cy", function(d) {
return y(d.fare);
})
.attr("r", 1.5)
.style("fill", "#69b3a2")
})
<script src="https://d3js.org/d3.v4.js"></script>
<!-- Create a div where the graph will take place -->
<div id="my_dataviz"></div>
The condition I want to implement is:
if(d.sex == "female"){
return d3.symbolCircle;
} else if (d.sex == "male"){
return d3.symbolSquare;
}
But, being absolute new to the syntax, I am not understanding how. Also, How to have two colors for the 3rd objective of indicating survivor vs dead.
Can anyone help me please. I really thank you in advance.
In case you do not have the dataset, it can also be found here.