Maintaining somebody else's SAS project, I found some code snippet which creates a table input-stats within a data step. The variable &all. contains a list of tables to examine. The data step is rather long which I shortened here with /* more code */:
%let all = "work.table1*mywork.table2";
data input-stats;
i = 1;
do while (scan(&all., i, '*') ne '');
name = scan(&all., i, '*');
/* more code */
output;
i = i + 1;
end;
run;
I want to expand the table input-stat with yet another column giving me the number of lines of each table. I found the following macro within the project to do exactly this:
%macro count_rows(ds);
%let DSID=%sysfunc(OPEN(&DS.,IN));
%let NOBS=%sysfunc(ATTRN(&DSID.,NOBS));
%let RC=%sysfunc(CLOSE(&DSID.));
&nobs
%mend;
I would like to now integrate this call within the above mentioned data step, but obviously, I cannot just simply add a rows=%count_rows(name) (e.g. instead of /* more code */) as I would in other programming languages.
How would you solve this issue with minimal code modifications? Is there a way without making a huge %while loop?