I'm creating my first background service and I want to communicate with it through a socket.
I have the following script /tmp/myservice.sh:
#! /usr/bin/env bash
while read received_cmd
do
echo "Received command ${received_cmd}"
done
And the following socket /etc/systemd/user/myservice.socket
[Unit]
Description=Socket to communicate with myservice
[Socket]
ListenSequentialPacket=/tmp/myservice.socket
And the following service:
[Unit]
Description=A simple service example
[Service]
ExecStart=/bin/bash /tmp/myservice.sh
StandardError=journal
StandardInput=socket
StandardOutput=socket
Type=simple
The idea is to understand how to communicate with a background service, here using an unix file socket. The script works well when launched from the shell and reading stdin and I thought that by setting StandardInput = "socket" it would read from the socket the same way.
Nevertheless, when I run nc -U /tmp/myservice.socket the command returns right away and I have the following output:
$ journalctl --user -u myservice
-- Logs begin at Sat 2020-10-24 17:26:25 BST, end at Thu 2020-10-29 14:00:53 GMT. --
Oct 29 08:40:16 shiny systemd[1689]: Started A simple service example.
Oct 29 08:40:16 shiny bash[21941]: /tmp/myservice.sh: line 3: read: read error: 0: Invalid argument
Oct 29 08:40:16 shiny systemd[1689]: myservice.service: Succeeded.
Oct 29 08:40:16 shiny systemd[1689]: Started A simple service example.
Oct 29 08:40:16 shiny bash[21942]: /tmp/myservice.sh: line 3: read: read error: 0: Invalid argument
Oct 29 08:40:16 shiny systemd[1689]: myservice.service: Succeeded.
Oct 29 08:40:16 shiny systemd[1689]: Started A simple service example.
Oct 29 08:40:16 shiny bash[21943]: /tmp/myservice.sh: line 3: read: read error: 0: Invalid argument
Oct 29 08:40:16 shiny systemd[1689]: myservice.service: Succeeded.
Oct 29 08:40:16 shiny systemd[1689]: Started A simple service example.
Oct 29 08:40:16 shiny bash[21944]: /tmp/myservice.sh: line 3: read: read error: 0: Invalid argument
Oct 29 08:40:16 shiny systemd[1689]: myservice.service: Succeeded.
Oct 29 08:40:16 shiny systemd[1689]: Started A simple service example.
Oct 29 08:40:16 shiny bash[21945]: /tmp/myservice.sh: line 3: read: read error: 0: Invalid argument
Oct 29 08:40:16 shiny systemd[1689]: myservice.service: Succeeded.
Oct 29 08:40:16 shiny systemd[1689]: myservice.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Oct 29 08:40:16 shiny systemd[1689]: myservice.service: Failed with result 'start-limit-hit'.
Oct 29 08:40:16 shiny systemd[1689]: Failed to start A simple service example.
Did I misunderstand how sockets work? Why read fails to read from the socket? Should I use another mechanism to communicate with my background service (as I said, it's my first background service so I may do unconventional things here)?