Is it possible to include a file outside Python package in wheel/bdist/sdist?

Viewed 57

I am the author of KiKit. KiKit is a tool using KiCAD's Python API. KiKit also serves as a plugin for KiCAD. To register a plugin for KiCAD, you have to place a Python file in a specific location (e.g., /usr/share/kicad/scripting/plugins/ or ~/.kicad_plugins/ - see KiCAD doc for details).

I distribute KiKit as a python package via pip so my users can just type pip install kikit and not care about anything else. I would like to be able to register the plugin within the installation step so the users don't have to perform this step manually.

I know that wheel does not support arbitrary code execution thus no post-installation script is possible. But I wasn't able to find out if it is possible to include a file that will be installed on a location outside the root of the package. If so, how can I specify it in setup.py?

PS: I am aware of the option to provide an extra script, e.g., register-kikit, which would register the plugin. But I would like to include it in the installation step so there is a lesser chance of the user forgetting to do so.

0 Answers
Related